Any dedicated gardener or allotment holder will know that soil cultivation is a tiring job, especially when compaction has left the ground dense and difficult to work. Under such circumstances it certainly helps to have a machine like Honda’s superb FG205 mini-tiller around, offering a quick and nigh on effortless way of loosening, turning and aerating soil in the flowerbeds and vegetable patches of small to medium-sized gardens and allotment plots.
The design of the FG205 is an enhanced version of the smaller FG201, with the same engine and frame but an upgraded specification to help tackle heavier workloads. This is most obviously evident in the FG205’s array of four four-toothed rotary digging tines for a working width/depth of 45cm/26cm. These specialised cutters, along with a reduced tool speed of 135rpm, mean that the FG205 is optimised for challenging soil cultivation work in dense soil, but the inclusion of protective side discs to deflect debris and protect nearby plants means that it can also be used with complete confidence to till between narrowly spaced rows of crops.
The FG205’s hardworking 49cc GXV50 four-stroke petrol engine, meanwhile, benefits from the years of engineering experience which have earned Honda its status as an industry leader. Designed with overhead valve technology for enhanced performance and efficiency, this quiet, clean running engine also features an automatic mechanical de-compression system to help ensure hassle-free starting. The FG205 is therefore just as reliable and easy to use as it is potent, with worm gear drive transmission delivering consistently high torque performance.
A sturdy but lightweight design with a low centre of gravity makes the FG205 pleasingly easy to handle, while the height adjustable handlebar offers unimpeded access to all controls and folds away to save space during storage and transportation. Transportation is further facilitated by the inclusion of smooth running rear wheels and a centralised carry handle as standard, making it much simpler to get the FG205 from your car to your allotment with the bare minimum of fuss. Homeowners may also want to note that the FG205 can be used with an optional lawn de-thatcher accessory, offering a handy way or removing build ups of thatch and moss from your grass and increasing the versatility of this already outstanding bit of kit.
- Driven by a hardworking 49cc GXV50 four-stroke petrol engine, with an automatic mechanical de-compression system included to ensure hassle-free starting
- Low noise, low emission performance ensures superb user-friendliness and allows the FG205 to be used in built up areas with complete peace of mind
- Equipped as standard with four sturdy rotary digging tines for a working width/depth of 45cm/26cm, with two hardwearing side discs included to protect plants from debris
- Lightweight design and low centre of gravity ensure great manoeuvrability during operation, while a centralised carry handle and rear wheels facilitate transportation
- Height adjustable handlebar offers quick access to all controls for added ease of operation, with a folding mechanism saving space during storage and transportation
- Also compatible with an optional lawn de-thatcher attachment (available separately) which allows the FG205 to be used for additional lawn care duties