The word ‘deluxe’ is derived from the French ‘de luxe’, meaning ‘of luxury’. It is a word with connotations of sumptuousness, extravagance and splendour, which are characteristics more commonly associated with five star hotel rooms, expensive cars and opulent travel packages than rotary tillers. But Honda’s FJ500 Deluxe mid-tine tiller bucks this trend with its high quality build and design, offering enough power and performance to tackle challenging soil cultivation work but with a range of handy features to make tilling a hassle-free, enjoyable and, yes, even a luxurious experience.
It makes sense to begin then by mentioning a few of the FJ500 Deluxe’s various ergonomic features. Foremost among these is the cleverly designed handlebar; fully height-adjustable to suit your particular needs, the handles also offer quick and convenient access to all controls and fold neatly down to save space during storage and transportation. Speaking of which, the FJ500 Deluxe also features a retractable front wheel to make it easier to get your tiller to where it is needed (particularly handy if you are traversing hard surfaces or moving it from a car to an allotment). On top of all of this, the combination of a quick-starting recoil ignition system and a high capacity 2.4 litre fuel tank saves significant time and effort otherwise spent on refuelling and restarts.
Supplied as standard with an impressive array of six individually detachable rotary tines, the FJ500 Deluxe is capable of loosening, turning, aerating and weeding medium to large areas of compacted soil with ease. The inclusion of an adjustable depth bar and the quick, tool-free removal system on the tiller rotors means that Honda’s deluxe soil cultivator is also luxuriously versatile, with working widths of 35cm (two rotors), 60cm (four rotors) and 90cm (six rotors) available. This means that the FJ500 Deluxe can be used for everything from larger-scale preparation of ground for grass seeding to precision work between narrowly planted rows of crops. In the latter case, the FJ500’s sturdy side protection discs work to prevent damage to plants caused by debris thrown up by the rotors during operation.
None of this would amount to much, however, were it not for the quiet, clean and smooth running power supplied by the FJ500 Deluxe’s GX160 four-stroke petrol engine. Built with a cast iron cylinder sleeve and a dual element air cleaner for proven reliability and a longer service life, this powerful engine also features an overhead valve design for increased efficiency and optimal power transfer. By complementing this power with a three-speed gear box, Honda also offer enhanced control and manoeuvrability and so allow you to tailor performance depending on the conditions at hand. This superb power and performance further backs up Honda’s claim for the FJ500 to be recognised a truly ‘deluxe’ piece of kit.
- Driven by a hardworking 163cc Honda GX160 four-stroke petrol engine, featuring a cast iron cylinder sleeve and a dual element air cleaner for proven reliability
- Fitted with an easily accessible recoil starter for ease of operation, along with a high capacity 2.4 litre fuel tank to provide longer intervals between fuel stops
- Also featuring a three-speed gear box with two forward tilling speeds to optimise performance in varying soil conditions and reverse for increased manoeuvrability
- Equipped as standard with a set of six detachable tines for variable working widths between 32.5cm and 80cm, with an adjustable depth bar further increasing flexibility
- Also equipped with side protection discs to prevent damage to plants caused by thrown debris when working between narrowly planted rows of crops
- Additional ergonomic features include a retractable front transport wheel and height-adjustable handlebars which fold away for storage
- Also compatible with an optional extendable furrower attachment (available separately) for added versatility